
(ATR) As violence rages in Kiev, the chief executive of Lviv’s 2022 Olympic campaign tells Around the Rings the deadly protests have
After a truce broke down, renewed clashes between police and protesters have left at least demonstrators dead and many injured. Nearly 70 police have been taken hostage by protesters, the BBC reported.
On Wednesday, at least 25 protesters and police were killed and hundreds were injured in rioting sparked by the Ukraine parliament’s delays in approving constitutional reforms as four months of unrest continued.
Speaking to ATR on the sidelines of the Sochi Games, Sergey Gontcharov said work on the bid had been continuing until the truce collapsed.
"It’s not normal, we are not working as normal," he told ATR today.
"Our office is closed, and our staff is not coming in."
Commenting on the eruption of violence in Kiev today, the latest spike in deadly rioting dating back to November, he said: "We understand that this situation needs to be resolved and resolved peacefully before we can legitimately or seriously be considered as future hosts of the Olympic Games."
Gontcharov said he he hoped Ukraine would emerge from the bloodshed and violence "a nation stronger" and "can focus unified on the bid".
Would the rioting by anti-government protesters be mentioned in the applicant file due to the IOC by March 14?
He said the dossier "speaks more about concept and current infrastructure not about politics so much". "We will consider to address it in the dossier but for sure it is being addressed in communications with our IOC colleagues."
Reported and written by Ed Hula and Mark Bisson.
20 Years at #1: Your best source of news about the Olympics is AroundTheRings.com, for subscribers only.
Últimas Noticias
Utah’s Olympic venues an integral part of the equation as Salt Lake City seeks a Winter Games encore
Utah Olympic Legacy Foundation chief of sport development Luke Bodensteiner says there is a “real urgency to make this happen in 2030”. He discusses the mission of the non-profit organization, the legacy from the 2002 Winter Games and future ambitions.

IOC president tells Olympic Movement “we will again have safe and secure Olympic Games” in Beijing
Thomas Bach, in an open letter on Friday, also thanked stakeholders for their “unprecedented” efforts to make Tokyo 2020 a success despite the pandemic.

Boxing’s place in the Olympics remains in peril as IOC still unhappy with the state of AIBA’s reform efforts
The IOC says issues concerning governance, finance, and refereeing and judging must be sorted out to its satisfaction. AIBA says it’s confident that will happen and the federation will be reinstated.

IOC president details Olympic community efforts to get Afghans out of danger after Taliban return to power
Thomas Bach says the Afghanistan NOC remains under IOC recognition, noting that the current leadership was democratically elected in 2019. But he says the IOC will be monitoring what happens in the future. The story had been revealed on August 31 in an article by Miguel Hernandez in Around the Rings

North Korea suspended by IOC for failing to participate in Tokyo though its athletes could still take part in Beijing 2022
Playbooks for Beijing 2022 will ”most likely” be released in October, according to IOC President Thomas Bach.
